How to get to Playa del Carmen
How to get to Playa del Carmen? Well that depends a lot of where you are coming from… However most people come to Playa del Carmen flying to the Cancun International Airport. Another way to come into Playa del Carmen is thru Merida or thru Chetumal, and if you come thru there you would be coming from places like Mexico City or Palenque. Ok yes… another place you can come from is Cozumel thru the Ferry.
How to get to Playa del Carmen from the Cancun Airport.
Like we told you this would be the most common way to get to Playa del Carmen, most of the people are coming from places like the United States, Canada, UK, or the rest of Europe.
Once you arrive at the Cancun Airport you’ll have to go thru baggage claim, then customs and then security, this process can take a while depending on the traffic of the day at the Cancun International Airport, you must know that weekends are busier than weekdays.
After that you’ll be going outside the airport thru a hall full of people from travel agencies, car rentals and transportation companies that will be telling you to go with them of to take a free tour or free transportation. This can be true… but you have to know you’ll be going to a 90 minutes or more timeshare presentation, that is correct, these people will be giving you free tours and transportation but you’ll be stuck in a 90 minutes breakfast next day with someone selling you a timeshare, if you don’t have a problem with this, then you can go ahead.
Now, we’ll tell you the different ways of getting to Playa del Carmen.
We suggest the Pre-booked transportation, you can check it below or at: Cancun Airport Transportation.
- Hotel Transportation. Some All Inclusive Hotels in Playa del Carmen will include you a ride from the airport so check this out, but if they don’t hotels will charge more than other pre-booked transportation options.
- Take a taxi at the Cancun Airport. This is a solutions for those who didn’t book prior to arrival, you just have to know that taxis at the airport will be more expensive since it is like a monopoly, there are only 3 companies allowed in the airport and they set pretty much de same price, sometimes charging the double you can get otherwise. Also
- Pre-booked Private Transportation. This is the first option we recommend to anyone, since is hassle free, you can book online with different companies comfortably from your house with credit card or PayPal, and then just arrive at the airport and look for your name on a board where everybody is waiting for passengers (After the gates of the airport), then jump in a van and be taken to your hotel or condo in Playa del Carmen. You can book this private transportation thru our website at: Cancun Airport Transportation. We have worked together with Cancun Airport Transportation to bring the best prices to all tourist in Playa del Carmen.
With this company you’ll have the following prices:
1-3 people, it is $60 USD and it will take you directly to your hotel or condo. If you book the round-trip transportation option, you’ll be saving an additional $10 USD. A really good options, considering that if you take the bus, this is almost $20 USD a person and then you need to take a taxi to take you to your hotel or condo. You can book this transportation on this link.
4-7 people, this will only be $70 USD, if you are 7 people, this would only be $10 USD a person, and if you book the round-trip transportation you’ll be saving $20 USD since it would only be $120 USD. You can book this here: Cancun Airport Transportation.
8-10 people. This would be $85 USD one way and if you book round-trip it would be $135 USD saving $35 USD, this is not even $7 USD a person if you are 10 passengers. You can book this transportation option here.
- Cancun Airport Car Rental. Renting a car is a good option if you have a party of about 4 people since it will be easier to get any car you want or any car available. You can see more information on how to rent a car at the airport here. Driving down in Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya is really easy since you would only be using the highway to go from your hotel or condo in Playa del Carmen to any tour or beach in the Riviera Maya.
- ADO Bus to Playa del Carmen. ADO is the main Bus company in Cancun and the Riviera Maya, we can also say of all the Yucatan Peninsula. ADO runs buses from the Cancun International Airport to Playa del Carmen about every 30 minutes and the bus will drop you at the bus terminal in Playa del Carmen which is pretty well located if you are going somewhere on the 5th Avenue or if you are going to Cozumel. For more info check: ADO Bus Cancun Airport or ADO bus Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen.